Frequently Asked Questions
There are a number of pivotal reasons why you should choose Altherma as your heating solution:
1. Daikin's Altherma system utilises free heat from the ambient air to maintain ideal comfort conditions in your home, which is coupled with Daikin's intelligent inverter technology to make your energy savings even greater. Unlike conventional air conditioners that constantly start and stop to control room temperature, a Daikin inverter continuously adjusts the power to suit the temperature in the room for a more comfortable, energy efficient home.
2. Even in the coldest weather, the Altherma system is still able to extract heat energy from the ambient air. In the event there is insufficient heat in the outdoor air, Altherma is equipped with a back-up heater to cover the shortfall.
3. Daikin's Altherma solution provides easy and flexible installation and options. This system is ideal for new homes as the underfloor piping can be installed during the construction phase, and for existing homes the piping can be connected to radiators installed around the house. And with the ability to connect a Daikin domestic hot water tank to your Daikin Altherma system, hot water can be supplied to your home all year round with this comprehensive home heating solution.
4. Altherma works without the need for fossil fuels like oil, flammable gas (LPG, Natural) or other hazardous substances, thus reducing potential risks and your systemÍs environmental impact. Furthermore, there is no need for a gas connection or a fuel tank and their associated costs.
5. Altherma's hydronic system circulates heat energy throughout your home using hot water rather than air. Water's high heat transfer coefficient means Altherma uses smaller diameter piping and lower convector/radiator fan speeds than conventional air conditioning systems, resulting in lower operating noise levels in your home.
Altherma is a highly flexible and efficient underfloor heating system that extracts heat from the outside air, raises it to a higher temperature, and then distributes it throughout your entire home through an underfloor network. With heating provided from the floor up, warmth is initially felt through your feet before radiating upwards to surround your entire body.
Altherma works without the need for fossil fuels like oil, flammable gas (LPG, Natural) or other hazardous substances, thus reducing potential risks and your systems environmental impact. Furthermore, there is no need for a gas connection or a fuel tank and their associated costs.
Daikin's Altherma system is available in heating-only or reverse cycle (heating and cooling) options. The reverse cycle system cools your home by simply reversing the heating process. The system extracts heat from the inside of your home and channels it to the outside, leaving your home cool. And with the ability to connect a Daikin domestic hot water tank to your Daikin Altherma system, hot water can be supplied to your home all year round with this comprehensive home heating solution.
At the heart of the Daikin Altherma system lies the air-to-water heat pump. The heat pump is today's answer to current and future concerns with conventional heating systems (such as rising energy costs and a high environmental impact).
Daikin's Altherma utilises free heat from the ambient air to maintain ideal comfort conditions via a refrigerant transfer cycle that delivers this heat into your home. This is an efficient process for transferring heat energy as it only requires 1 kilowatt of electricity to pump 3 to 5 kilowatts of heat into your home (in other words, 66-80% of the heat energy produced by Altherma comes from the outside air and is free of charge).
To make this happen, there's an outdoor unit and an indoor unit. Circulating between the outdoor unit and the indoor unit is a refrigerant that absorbs heat energy from the ambient air and releases that heat energy into the indoor unit. A secondary heat exchange then occurs within the indoor unit as the heat absorbed is transferred from the refrigerant circuit to the water in the system and then sent through the underfloor distribution network to heat your home.
The Daikin Altherma system is available as either a Bi-Bloc or a Mono-Bloc solution with the option of connecting to our specifically designed domestic hot water tank to satisfy your year-round domestic hot water needs.
Altherma Bi-Bloc Outdoor Unit
The outdoor unit extracts heat from the outside air, raises its temperature and transfers this heat to the indoor ïhydroboxÍ unit for circulation into the underfloor heating circuit, radiators or fan coil units. The unit is compact and can be easily installed with no drilling or excavation work required.
Altherma Mono-Bloc Outdoor Unit
For a simplified installation, the Mono-Bloc option is an all-in-one system removing the need for an indoor hydrobox. Heat is directly transferred from the outside air via the mono-bloc unit to the underfloor heating circuit, radiators or fan coil units.
INDOOR HYDROBOX (only Applicable to Altherma Bi-Bloc Systems)
The hydrobox is a wall-mounted indoor unit that transfers heat to the water circulating in the underfloor heating circuit, radiators or fan coil units (and also to the domestic hot water tank if this is included in your system).
DAIKIN ALTHERMA HOT WATER TANK
Designed for low energy consumption, the water inside the storage tank is primarily warmed by using thermal energy from the outside air using a heat exchanger connected to the heat pump.